September 16, 2010

18/365

On this day in 1977, Marc Bolan (T. Rex) died in a car accident at the age of 29.

Ballinalack

As stated earlier somewhere, I've been mulling over the idea of doing an Ed Ruscha - TwentySix Gasoline Stations set of my own and am currently doing my homework and reviewing sites. In this I hope to follow in the footsteps of the master and photograph all the Petrol Stations between Boyle and my place of work in Dublin. Unlike Ruscha, I'm planning to photograph my stations at night or before dawn, as this is when I usually pass them. This is the drive-through village of Ballinalack on the N4. I've watched it become a vibrant watering hole in recent years.

Photo: Very much a snap-shot, taken from the car between rain showers. I felt it captured that mundane, 'nothing unusual about that' quality that characterised Ruscha's and his contemporaries photos. I think it has taken the difference of 50 years in Ireland to make it look like a scene from the U.S. as Ruscha saw it back in 1962. Maybe that's my point. In any case, Petrol Stations are certainly very much part of our culture at the moment.
Hand-held. 70-200mm lens @ 200mm. ISO 200. 1/640 @ f/6.3