November 12, 2010

75/365

On this day in 1840, Sculptor Auguste Rodin was born in Paris. His most widely known works are "The Kiss" and "The Thinker."

T Junction

T - Junction in Leitrim after sunset. This is a sketch for a shot I plan to take when I can get a dry road. A high spot on the road, I just love the arrangement of lights here. This was the first, test shot of 6 I took this evening. For some reason, it was the only one not effected by lens-flare ... the dread of the night-photographer! Lens-flare and me have crossed swords often and our engagements usually are amicably resolved. Lens quality and focal length have a lot to do with controlling this nasty anomaly.
It's been another long week, I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Photo: Single frame. Tripod shot. 17-55mm Lens @ 38mm. I usually fire a test shot just to see the quality of light, for this I'm not concerned about the camera settings, so here the ISO was 400, 1/15 @ f/2.8.
Once I deduced that the image was worth the effort, I set the camera proper - ISO 100. then decided on an aperture to give decent depth of field, f/10. The resulting shutter speeds were between 4 and 6 seconds. I took a further 5 shots, changing position and composition slightly in each case. However, none measure up to the first 'fluke' shot. In this exercise I'm thinking that a smaller aperture is less likely to have lens-flare issues, it certainly seems to be the case on this occasion. Post-processing was limited to WB and Levels tweaks.