May 5, 2011

249/365

On this day in 1821, Emperor Napoleon I dies in exile on the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.
9.30pm Boyle
An experimental 'Blue Hour' shot, taken in haste on the platform of Boyle Railway Station. The sky was full of promise as I drove home this evening so attempted to make the most of it. There was little margin for error here, I set it up as best I could predicting that the train would come on the nearest track ... alas, t'was not to be. I used a 3-stop tobacco ND Grad to bring out the reds in the clouds and off-camera speed-light to kill the shadows on the building to the left. Fellow camera club member, Joe Kennedy, arrived on the scene for some company and additional low-light experimental work.

Photo: ISO 400. 1/4 @ f/5.
10pm Boyle
It's the technology ... sometimes it will give you the shot, sometimes it won't. It's the often unpredictable nature of the medium that keeps me coming back for more.