March 27, 2013

Pine Marten

Cornameeltha TMP_4772

We were first visited by this pine marten about a month ago. Cheeky as you like, he scampered about on the front lawn for 10-minutes or so, then disappeared. Only that some friends were visiting at the time, no one would have believed me. That was the first time I ever saw a pine marten although I've been aware of the havoc they caused with my neighbours fowl! My neighbour Brendan visited today and as we sat catching up on the Cornameeltha news, it was he that first noticed the now familiar creature in the trees. This time the pine marten stayed among the branches but was not deterred by the sound of the tractor ticking-over outside the house. Conditions did not favour my taking this shot through the window with the sun shining directly into the camera lens. The captured image was bleached and colourless, contrast and saturation were boosed in this post-production edit. Although I feel privileged to have access to such an abundance of native wildlife, I'm a bit nervous about the fact that the new hens will be arriving at the weekend!!