September 8, 2010

10/365

On this day in 1504, Michelangelo's 'David' was unveiled in Florence.

Hotel

An Evening Herald small-ad, answered to a postbox number in 1989 would see me living in Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan for five years. I working as a teacher in the local school at a time when people saved, paid rent and teachers were respected. Fresh out of college, I was earning £130.00 a week and could afford to considerably expand my tape collection and make payments on my first car. I loved what I did and the people were friendly. I had a small studio on the second floor of the Credit Union building, just above the doctor’s surgery in Main Street, my pupils parents would sometimes leave apple tarts at my door. At night I had the great and beautiful early Victorian building to myself, I loved it’s great staircase and stained glass windows and although it was in a decrepit state, the rent was cheap and it was close to work.
I had no telly, so at night sometimes I’d go across the road to watch the news in what was then The Central Hotel, life was very simple … and I loved it. Last-night I found myself back in ‘Blayney. Unfortunately, The Central Hotel is no longer there, however ‘Mr K’s’ was very cosy. I had a room that looked across at my old home and I was unable to stop the memories coming.

Photo: Hotel room in Castleblayney, looking across Main Street. The yellow halogen street lights filter through the window and create an interesting contrast and play of light and colour between the tv screen and bathroom. I set the camera on the tripod and squared-up the verticals. I used a wide-angle lens at 10mm and fired with a cable release.
Mirror-lock in up position. White Balance on manual set to 2500k (as low as the Nikon D300 goes I’m afraid). ISO 100. 10 seconds @ f/13. Tweaked a little in ARC.