September 25, 2010

27/365

On this day in 1493, Christopher Columbus left Spain with 17 ships on his second voyage to the Western Hemisphere.

Autumn Hedgerow

Autumn has now taken a firm grip on the Irish landscape and temperatures have fallen steadily these past few weeks. It will soon be time to kick-start the boiler and get a fill of oil.

Photo: Hand-held, just a snap shot of the ditch near home, the blackberries are ripening, the chestnuts are falling and a different set of colour hues breath across the landscape. I like Autumn and harvest time, low-light and crisp air ... the nights are particularly good at the moment for photography.
I'm a bit disappointed with this one, I'd deliberately set the aperture to f/4.5 so as to blur the background but hoped to keep that fence post and wire in focus. Reviewing this, I would say the reason f/4.5 didn't handle it was because of my close proximity to the foreground bush. Had I took a few steps back and used the zoom (from 32mm to 55mm) to reframe, I'd say I would have fixed that post a bit better.
Lens - 17-55mm @ 32mm. ISO 200. 1/800 @ f/4.5