September 26, 2010

28/365

On this day in 1957, Musical "West Side Story," opens on Broadway.

The Lane Before Dawn

Sometimes, beautiful light can present itself in the most unlikely places, and at unusual times. During the Summer, I spent a couple of nights on Inis Oirr, smallest of the Aran Islands off the West coast of Ireland. This shot was taken in the early hours of the morning (about 4.30am) on my way home, after a great oul night, from the local teach ól. It was my first time on the Island and I found it to be a magical place, one I will return to soon I hope.

Photo: Taken just before dawn. There was no dramatic sunrise this particular morning due to cloud cover, none the less, the sky contained enough drama and colour as a background to the power generator shed bathed in the soft tungsten light. A single frame, processed in ACR with some adjustments to white balance and contrast. Lens - Sigma 10-20mm wide-angle @ 15mm. ISO 100. 2.5 seconds @ f/5.6