January 22, 2011

146/365

On this day in 1666, Shah Jahan, a descendant of Genghis Khan and Timur, died at the age of 74. He was the Mongul emperor of India that built the Taj Mahal as a mausoleum for his wife Mumtaz-i-Mahal.

Georges Dock Dublin

I've had my eye on this Dublin street for some time now, but have never been able to capture it in the right light as it lies on an East/West axis that never seems to catch the sun when I'm about. This was another one of those days. Like hundreds (thousands!) of my images that never make it to a public space, this would have been confined to the abyss were it not for the grief and bull-shit I had to put up with to take it. For all you aspirational 'Street Photographers' - beware!

I inadvertently took the 'Point' train (Luas) as opposed to the 'Connolly Station' train on my way home the other day. Realising my mistake, I got off at the next stop, it being George's Dock ... grand job, a short walk back to the station will do me no harm. En route, I took out the camera (always make the most of a bad situation) to take a shot and looked back the length of the street towards Lower Mayor St ... the view you can see in the shot here. In doing so, I was tapped on the shoulder and told by a civilian that I was not allowed to take photos at that spot! ... Say What??? I informed the gentleman that I was just after getting off a public train and standing at a public train stop on the public footpath, etc. However, I was informed that the area about the Financial Services Centre was a Private Space and No Photography allowed! This was a red rag to a bull to which the gentleman concerned abruptly realised as I had told him how I had just come from the gates of Dáil Éireann and the 'flapping about politicians'. I'd also been told that my salary would probably be about €300 down at the end of the month and that my kids will still be paying for the mess the bankers and Financial Services people made for the rest of their lives!! And this as***** was telling me I couldn't take a photo of an empty street!!! With foam starting to flow from my mouth, I also took a photo of the fat arsed financial services civilian briskly making pace away to alert the nearest security guard ... but I preferred this shot and decided to post it instead.

Please excuse the rant!! Politicians beware, if ye come near my house without the winning numbers to Lotto, I'll set the dogs on ye!!

And I will go back and photograph this area when ever I f****** feel like it!!